Last year my Lobster and I bought a pumpkin but did not get around to carving it. I love carving pumpkins so I put it on the fall fun activity list. This year we forgot to even buy a pumpkin. I was so focused on completing items on the list that I forgot to buy a pumpkin. Luckily I did buy one for work. So instead of carving a pumpkin with my lobster, I carved one with my kids. They had so much fun watching and talking about it but none of them wanted to put their hand inside or touch the insides and seeds when I pulled them out.
I was hoping to also ‘go for a morning walk’ with my Lobster but it seems we ran out of time. I went on a walk this morning on my way to work. Two more things to cross off the list.
Thanksgiving is not complete without pumpkin pie and since ‘bake a pie’ was on my fall activity list I can now scratch another item off. Okay I actually just made tarts instead of a full pie but in order to cross it off the fall fun list lets just call them mini pies!
Over the past few years in my journey to eat healthier I have adjusted many favourite dessert recipes to have less sugar, or at least contain a more natural sweetener, as well as no dairy. It was time to come up with a new pumpkin pie filling. With the clock ticking I crafted a new recipe. It took a couple tries to get the spices right but other than that it was a great success.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
*makes for 2 pies or 1.5 dozen tarts
- 3 1/4 cups of pumpkin puree ( 1 can of pumpkin puree)
- 150 ml pure maple syrup
- 100 ml almond milk (can substitute with the milk of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbs arrowroot powder
- 3 eggs
- Heat oven to 350*. Beat eggs in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Stir until blended.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie or tart shells.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes for mini pies or tarts. **I have not tried the recipe in a full sized pie yet. Not sure about baking time, probably around 30-40 min.** To test the pie insert a knife, if the knife comes out clean its done, if not bake for longer.
- Let pie cool before serving.